“ … to inspire enthusiasm for pursuits of the mind … ”
Individuals are elected to Phi Beta Kappa as a result of the intellectual curiosity, discipline, rigor, and achievement they exhibit over the extended course of a liberal education.
Providing such persons with a locus to apply and further develop that mindset, the Phi Beta Kappa Association of the Chicago Area advocates intellectual pursuits and the benefits of a liberal education. Through diverse activities drawing upon the resources of metropolitan Chicago, our goal is to inspire enthusiasm for pursuits of the mind, a sense of discovery, and independent judgement.
Areas within which PBKACA can carry out its mission most effectively are:
- Pursuits of the mind: inspiring inquiry from book clubs to special interest discussions
- Socializing: extending Phi Beta Kappa’s fraternal roots through fellowship
- Service: enabling opportunities for personal growth through education in the community
- Promotion of excellence: recognizing high achievement of fully realized talents
- Public discourse: advocating the ideals of Phi Beta Kappa to broaden their acceptance
(Mission Statement first adopted in July 1994 and revised April 2004. If you would like to read our by-laws please click here.)